Monday, February 20, 2012

Dreaming about Dad

I had a dream about my dad last night. I knew right away it was a dream because he's been gone since 1996. So, as I sat in a front room in that house, I saw dad through the window at the front door. I didn't want to wake up before I got a chance to speak to him, so I dashed out of the room and pushed past people to get to the front door and see my dad! He seemed glad to see me, and I told him that I missed him. But he was so much taller than I remembered. In fact, my head barely came above the brown leather belt in his blue work trousers. I wondered whether I was remembering him from when I was a little kid. So I asked why he seemed so tall, and he told me that he was the size he needed to be for the work he had to do. I didn't get to ask what kind of work he was doing, because then he disappeared and another man of the same height stood in his place. He told me that my dad had to go. And I woke up. I wanted to cry because I didn't get a chance to hug my dad. But I didn't cry. I just felt sorry for myself for most of the day instead.

6 comments:

  1. What a blessing, though, to have even spoken with him!! I would love to have my dad (or mom) come to me in a dream. I hear about it happening to others. If it happens to me, it is just one of those dreams I don't remember. Maybe you'll get that hug in the next dream!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you can find some comfort from that dream even if you didn't get to hug him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Brenda. I know how you feel. It's normal to miss your Dad when he's gone. I used to have dreams about my Dad too, but haven't had one in awhile. I'm more likely to have one about Mom these days. Isn't it wonderful to know that you will see him again soon in Heaven?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dreams can be so powerful and cause so much emotion. It is neat that you got to see him in a way regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had a good relationship with your dad. And a good dream also....

    ReplyDelete

Your comments fuel my writing and may give me ideas for future posts, so please share your thoughts!

Featured Post

An Editor Answers the Burning Question on the Reader's Mind

You’ve asked yourself (and others) this question. Don’t deny it; I know you have! (In my pre-editor days, I asked the same question!) Whil...