Sunday, February 16, 2014

Heritage: Personal Vintage Family Photos


Brenda's Grandparents on the Farm
Confession: I don’t love gardening, though my tastes have changed since childhood, when the thought of garden-fresh vegetables made me want to hide in the closet. I now love the home-canned goodness my mother prepared! You haven’t lived until you’ve tasted green bean casserole made from home-canned green beans! Just don’t ask me and my non-green thumbs to imitate my mom in the garden. I can’t even grow potatoes, and they are supposed to be easy!

Brenda with Principal Grandma
I mention gardening because farming ran on both sides of my family tree. Both parents were raised on farms. Dad left farming before he married Mom, but they made a home in the country and always planted a garden and raised chickens and ducks. My brother and I were given gardening duties such as picking all the potato bugs off the potato plants, which I thought was incredibly disgusting!

Farming isn’t the only thing both sides of the family had in common; education was another. After Grandma Elva graduated eighth grade, she was asked to be a teacher! (I wish I knew how long she taught, if she indeed did. It may have been until she met and married Grandpa George.) Grandma Dorothy was a teacher in a one-room schoolhouse, and then a teacher in a consolidated school, and when she retired, she was the principal of a consolidated school. (A consolidated school is a school made up of students and teachers originally from smaller schools that have decided to join together into one larger school.) Grandma Dorothy’s son became a history teacher, and her daughters at one time or another were Sunday school teachers.

I may not have loved farm work, but I have always loved education. Homeschooling my children was such a blessing, as I was able to share my love of learning with them and witness their growth and development personally. One should never stop learning! If I had had the resources, I might have become a professional student. But being an author and editor is the next best thing. With all the reading and research I do, I am always learning something new.

Education: it’s not just a necessity, it’s part of my heritage!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments fuel my writing and may give me ideas for future posts, so please share your thoughts!

Featured Post

An Editor Answers the Burning Question on the Reader's Mind

You’ve asked yourself (and others) this question. Don’t deny it; I know you have! (In my pre-editor days, I asked the same question!) Whil...