Tuesday, June 17, 2014

What Do You Mean?

Several months ago, I attended a party overflowing with strangers and a few acquaintances. I’m not at my best surrounded by strangers, but I try to think of it as an adventure. During the course of the evening, I found myself hanging out with a quietly friendly man with alert blue eyes. Suddenly, he blurted, “Has anyone ever told you that you have beautiful hair?”

He caught me off guard with that unexpected question. It’s a question that demands a yes/no answer, though he may have meant it to be a compliment. On the other hand, it could have been a lead-in to a sly insult, no matter what my answer.

“Has anyone ever told you that you have beautiful hair?”
“Why, yes, they have.”
“Really? They must have been blind.”

“Has anyone ever told you that you have beautiful hair?”
“No, I don’t believe so.”
“I can see why not.”

The way I saw it, my new friend left me no choice but to laugh it off with a silly (but true) story about a few compliments I’d received after accidentally coloring my hair an intense pomegranate red. I went on to express my consternation at being unable to tone down the color and avoid all the attention it was bringing me. I wanted to stop talking, but words just kept falling out of my mouth!

Now, if he had said what he meant (which I hope was complimentary), I could have responded with a sincere “thank you.” Instead, I’m left with the memory of my excessive laughter and awkward verbiage. Sighhh…

In real life, you can avoid confusion by saying exactly what you mean (doing so graciously, I hope, when the message is less than pleasant). In fiction, unless you purposefully want to cause confusion as part of the plotline, you should consider saying what you, and your character, mean. The best dialogue (in novels as well as real life) informs, entertains, and moves the story forward. I’m not sure the party conversation above does that … unless it was the beginning of a romantic comedy? (So far, that doesn’t appear to be the case.)


Do you say what you mean? Have you ever been on the receiving end of a compliment that wasn’t really a compliment? Share your experience in the comment box!

5 comments:

  1. You do have beautiful hair!

    I'm learning to be more precise in my answering when others ask a specific question. I usually have an answer trailing behind me. LOL! You're not alone my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try desperately and intentionally to say what I mean, but even then, I can get tongue tied, ramble and appear awkward. UGH! Responding to compliments are the worst, especially when they are sincere. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like he was uncomfortable with strangers, too, and wanted to give you a compliment. It just came out all wrong for him, too. Joe, my DH, always says "Say what you mean, and mean what you say!" so it isn't a new concept. It is just hard for most of us, at least some of the time. Maybe you will see him again, at another event. If you do, ask him the same question and see how he answers.... (winking)!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Terri, I think he might be offended if I him ask the same question. He's not got a lot of hair. But I could compliment his voice. I enjoying hearing him read my writing aloud. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I once worked as a cashier in a electric company. I would receive inquiries and transactions over the phone. Once a customer called and as we were talking he suddenly says "are you as beautiful as your voice?" I could not believe it, I got tongue tied and said "well... what do you mean?? I mean .. I guess" LOL the conversation suddenly felt very awkward and I quickly changed the subject back to what we were addressing. LOL It's one my most awkward moments. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Your comments fuel my writing and may give me ideas for future posts, so please share your thoughts!

Featured Post

An Editor Answers the Burning Question on the Reader's Mind

You’ve asked yourself (and others) this question. Don’t deny it; I know you have! (In my pre-editor days, I asked the same question!) Whil...