Saturday, February 16, 2008

Valentine's Day

Our Day. Every year it's our tradition to have a spaghetti dinner. I don't know why! This year I made a meat-sauce spaghetti in the crockpot and Pillsbury crescent rolls to be served with garlic spread. I had a 2-liter bottle of blueberry lemonade (non-carbonated) in the cabinet, so that was our special drink instead of the traditional sparkling (carbonated) grape juice. (I've given up carbonated beverages on behalf of my health!) For dessert we had the chocolate fudge brownie ice cream cake that I bought on sale a month or so ago and saved for a special occasion!

My son gave his sister and me a box of Nestle Crunch Stixx. (My box says, "Who needs love when you have chocolate?" How appropriate! hehe) Jasmine has eaten all of hers! She's such a sugar freak!

Jasmine didn't have any money, so she didn't get us anything. I hadn't had any cash to spare or time to take her shopping anyway. She had made me a paper heart that said "I love you because ....(open the card) You are my Valentine - I love you!"

I gave each of the kids a card , a small heart with chocolates and a box of Slim Jims. Then Barron got an FBI tee (Firm Believer in Jesus), and Jasmine got flannel pajamas. The clothes are both things I got last month on clearance and saved for the day. Then I made a white chocolate cherry cheeseball with graham crackers! It is soooo good! I bought the cheeseball mix during the Christmas season and just hadn't had a reason to make it till now.

I'm really proud of myself for not going overboard on this holiday, and for preparing in advance. My bank account thanks me too! ha ha

My two best friends, Michelle and Teisha, both called me. That was very cool, especially since I hadn't planned to call anyone. Monday is President's Day, so my kids are off school. Maybe we'll get to do something fun then.

Anyway, on Friday I gave my daughter her overdue allowance, and we went to the store, where she shopped the half-priced Valentine leftovers and I picked up juice, bread, bathroom tissue, and a log for the fire. My sweet baby went crazy with her allowance and bought me Russell Stover chocolates, Ghirardelli chocolates, and old-fashioned cherry creme hearts! And then she bought two things for her brother and spent more on him than he spent on her - even though I told her not to! She is such a giver and loves to surprise people.

I treated her to the KFC buffet, where she got all her favorites: carrots, beets, pickles, and cole slaw. Oh, and Jello. I do believe she nibbled on some chicken after pulling the skin off. Oh yeah, and they had cherry pie, so she was happy to load up on that as well!

That does it for our Valentine's Day!

2 comments:

  1. Wow--Valentines at your place sounds like it as really special.I got one big question, though. How the heck did fudge ice cream and cheese stuff stay n your kitchen all that time with no one diving into it? I cannot seem to make a bag of chocolates last more than a few minutes in my house. And that's even when I hide them in one of a zillion secret hiding places. Oh--and one more question. Your KFC has a buffet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hide the fudge ice cream cake in the freezer that's in the garage and not the kitchen one, and that helps. :-) And I didn't make the cheeseball until that evening.

    We have several KFC's in this area, and at least 2 have a buffet. It's kind of pricey, but it IS good chicken! (the cherry pie was really good too!)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments fuel my writing and may give me ideas for future posts, so please share your thoughts!

Featured Post

An Editor Answers the Burning Question on the Reader's Mind

You’ve asked yourself (and others) this question. Don’t deny it; I know you have! (In my pre-editor days, I asked the same question!) Whil...