Tuesday, October 18, 2011

My Brief Stint as a PT Office Manager

I accepted a part-time job at my chiro’s office. I had been helping out while he was between managers, since I have been a longtime patient and friend with previous office experience. He asked, I agreed to help in exchange for adjustments and occasionally a small paycheck.

The new office mgr has to travel a long way to get there, and Tuesday morning’s long break from 10am - 3pm didn’t appeal to her (nowhere in town to spend the time, too long a round trip to waste gas going home and back), so I will work Tuesday’s 2-1/2 hour mornings, and she will work the 3-1/2  hour afternoon. That will leave me the rest of the week to do my editing and authoring.

UPDATE: Well, that didn’t last long! Two weeks later, as I was taking care of Tuesday morning business, the new office manager called to say she didn’t feel well and wondered if I could cover the afternoon for her. She didn’t sound sick, and I already had afternoon plans to work on a editing project, so I said no. I found out later that she faxed a rambling letter to the chiro about how it was so far to drive and so early to get up and yada-yada-yada, she quit! With no two-weeks’ notice! 

Soooo, I went back to helping out a bit more often until he found someone else. And then someone else. I am happy to report that he finally found someone who doesn’t mind the long lunch break and who fits in very well! I have not been asked to sub in more than a year. I loved the patients, but office jobs (that aren’t in my own home) just aren’t my thing.

11 comments:

  1. Every little bit helps, Brenda, and having current references on your resume also looks good! Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. is it barter work? i don't sense less dread that when you started working for the chiro.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It can be whatever I want it to be. It'll only be $25 a day, four days a month. I will probably ask for $28, though, and then it will equal out to an adjustment a week. I have two month's of weekly adjustments saved from working this summer, though, so I may ask for cash now and trade later. The time that I work there Tuesday morning, I wouldn't have gotten anything accomplished at home, so the only drawback is an earlier bedtime Monday nights. But I get to see my best friend Michelle because she has a standing appt every Tuesday morning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that sounds good either way (pay or barter).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bet you never thought you'd be doing that awhile back! lol! Well, it's extra cash and/or adjustments so it's all good Helps the resumé to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's great Brenda, and you never know where it will lead. All those adjustments sound fine but they won't pay the bills - cash sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That will be good i bet you will start to look forward to being out for the time

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is great, it all helps. Keep doing a good job...look at it this way, after you've worked your time on Tuesdays it can be your errand day...cause you'll already be out and about.

    Hope it works out well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Actually, if Jasmine keeps working a full day on Tuesdays, I'll have to scuttle on home to pass off the van to her so that she can get to work by 11am. Otherwise, I would definitely make it my day to run errands.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments fuel my writing and may give me ideas for future posts, so please share your thoughts!

Featured Post

An Editor Answers the Burning Question on the Reader's Mind

You’ve asked yourself (and others) this question. Don’t deny it; I know you have! (In my pre-editor days, I asked the same question!) Whil...