Monday, October 28, 2019

Toads' Halloween - a Halloweensie Contest Entry

Brenda Covert, author of
Toad's Halloween
        Toads’ Halloween 


The toads are trick-or-treating.
Can you believe your eyes?
The garden gnomes are frightened
And give them candied flies.

The toads are hopping faster.
Behind them scurry skinks.
The sneaky lizards gather
something as a newt winks.

...


(These are the first 2 stanzas of my entry for Susanna Leonard Hill's 9th Annual Halloweensie Contest. The rules are to use no more than 100 words in the story — not including the title — and to use a form of the words trick, potion, and cobweb in a story written for kids age 12 or under. This challenge was so much fun! It took effort to whittle my poem down to 100 words exactly.)

8 comments:

  1. Poor toads, hope they ended up with treats at the end of the night! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did! The skinks picked up all the candy that fell out of their bags as they hopped, and they gave it back to them. I just didn't have room in this 100 word story to include that detail and hoped it was implied.

      Delete
  2. I had to cut 2 verses to keep to the 100-word limit. Here are verse 2 and the last verse:

    The toads swing tiny treat bags.
    From home to home they hop.
    The glow of jack-o-lanterns
    Adds a thrill to every stop.

    The toads are trick-or-treating.
    With new friends by their side.
    Their Halloween is happy
    Because kindness was the guide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the cobwebs in the bags. Perfect when your "candy" can escape. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done, Brenda! I love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, this is great! Love all the plosives in this piece! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this story and the candy sticking to the cobwebs. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments fuel my writing and may give me ideas for future posts, so please share your thoughts!

Featured Post

An Editor Answers the Burning Question on the Reader's Mind

You’ve asked yourself (and others) this question. Don’t deny it; I know you have! (In my pre-editor days, I asked the same question!) Whil...